Junior School will be providing iPads for students in Prep to Year 5.
In 2024, the College will provide an iPad for all students in Year 6 and new students entering Year 7. Current Year 6 students moving into Year 7 will continue with their existing personal iPad. Parents of current Year 6 students with existing iPads can elect to have the College install the required apps and controls on their personal device, so that all students in Year 7 have the same access and limitations on their devices. In 2025, the College will provide an iPad for all students from Prep to Year 7.
This change will remove the requirement for parents to purchase a learning device for their child until they enter Year 8. In recognition of the increased demand for students to use a laptop from Year 8, the College will also phase out the requirement for students to only have an iPad in Year 8 and 9, and extend the “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) model to Years 8-12.
Students in Years 8 to 12 have the option to bring their own device (see requirements below).
Subjects with specialist ICT requirements also have access to technologies designed to address specific learning requirements.
BYOD Minimum device specifications (Years 8 – 12)
- Physical Size: 13″ Screen size or larger
- Processor: Intel Core i5
- RAM: 8GB (We recommend 16GB)
- Storage: 256Gb SSD
- Operating System: Operating System: Windows 10 or macOS Ventura (13)
- Wireless Compatibility: 802.11ac
- Battery Life: 6 to 8 hours minimum
- Antivirus Software required
Required Applications for BYOD:
The college supplies access to the Microsoft Office 365 suite and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, students from years 6-12 will have access via their student login for the duration they are enrolled.
Students can gain access to the software below by clicking on the links and signing in with their college B0 number. Example:B01234@redlands.qld.edu.au.
When purchasing a new/used iPad we recommend an iPad that has a minimum of 64GB of space and is Wi-Fi only (this ensures that web content will be filtered by the College).
The iPad will need to be able to run the latest version of iOS/iPadOS and any new releases of iOS/iPadOS that are released after the iPad is purchased.
Apple’s list of iPads that support the latest iOS version.
Families make their own decisions about where and how to purchase iPads.
Required iPad Apps
- Adobe Acrobat
- Apple Books
- Google Sheets
- Google Docs
- Google Drive
Middle School Additional Apps
- Headphones: we recommend students use volume restricted, over-the-ear headphones.
- Extended warranty and a robust case: we recommend the purchase of an extended warranty e.g. Apple Care+.
- We strongly recommend a robust case to minimise potential damage, for example, the Griffin Survivor and the LifeProof cases are both highly effective.